11 June 2008

Cultural Difference: Job Applications

So now that the apartment search is over, I'm running around trying to scrape up any/all ESL teaching work in Gap. It's proving to be quite a challenge for several reasons... here's the lowdown on what I've sussed out so far:

1. Gap is small, right? About 40,000 people live here. Not exactly the population needed to sustain a Berlitz or an EF or even a JLS. Zero language schools to be found.

2. That being said, there are quite a few organizations, both public and private, that offer English classes in Gap. These are in the form of continuing education, or nightschool, or in-company training. But my timing is rotten because almost everybody is headed off on summer vacation. I've met with several places that seem interested, but everybody tells me I have to wait for la rentrée (back-to-school), which here happens in September or even October, to find out if they need me.

3. So, between now and la rentrée... hmm. I've put up lots of notices advertising private lessons and I am planning to take out an ad in the local paper as well. I've also been told there are possibilities to do telephone or on-line tutoring. (Would I have to use the webcam, or could I stay in my PJs until noon?)

4. The other avenue I am planning to explore is tourism, which there is a lot of here. People come in the summer for la nature and in the winter for le ski. Tomorrow I am going to apply to the Tourism Office (fingers crossed!) and I am also in the process of applying to the hotels in town. Today I went to pick up an application form at the local branch of a national hotel chain. An application form which turns out to be three pages long. And contains many questions that would never ever be asked when applying for a job in Canada. But then again, this is France. Things are different. Ready for your jaw to drop?

Top 10 Politically-Incorrect Questions on Hotel Application Form

10.Birth date and place
9. Nationality
8. Martial status
7. Number of children and their ages
(And then, under the "état de santé" heading:)
6. Height
5. Weight (!)
4. Clothing size (!!)
3. Sports practiced (!!!)
2. Current salary
1. Photo - passport sized - to be attached.

Do you love it? Sometimes I really miss Canada...

No comments: